Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tales of Vesperia Review

When I think of a good Rpg that incorporates originality and with a sharp curve, but is satisfying and fun Kingdom Hearts will definitely come to my mind. Though, after playing Vesperia, which is the longest game a person can play, I don’t know how much of my life I lost. In reality though, its over 50 hours without counting extra missions, just the main story folks. Rpg’s may not be the most rave in the United States, those without the hype or buzz as others like Final Fantasy, but there are some pretty dang good ones, and this has to be one of the best ones I have ever played in my entire life and I am going to tell you why.

Story

Other than game play this is the most important topic to me, as far as Rpgs go. The setting of the story takes place on the planet Terca Lumireis and the technology of this planet is advanced in places yet behind in others. The story at first is very simplistic a young trouble maker named Yuri quits being a knight to have a free life. Right as he is just relaxing on being a new man, the protection of the City, their blastia an object with almost a catch twenty-two plot to it, is a substance or orb than sets out a barrier around a city and protects from any monsters from roaming in, has disappeared. He seeks out the who’s, what’s, and whys, and before the gamer knows it you have a whole team that is on the verge to save the world.

Game play

To get around the large and vibrant world in this game, you at first walk around the world with Yuri and It will lead to you having a ship to get around and when gotten even further in the game you will have the ability to fly on a special creature. Fighting, at first may seem dull, that for the most part is that the characters are not skilled, but within the first twenty or so hours you’ll be slaying bosses with an arsenal of skills, weapons and items. The actual fighting is real time, no turn based action here( Im no fan of turn based either) so have fun with using Yuri’s Azure Edge and other abilities, and you can switch characters as well nice touch if you ask me, I don’t want to play the same character for 50 hours.

Graphics/Models/Environment

Graphics are shell shaded and to say it with as much bluntness as possible, BEAUTIFUL. Characters are spot on and very unique as there are more than one type of Civilization on the planet, and the monsters are portrayed well with distinct colors. The environments are so lush and full of life, the vibe off the environments are stellar. I won’t say you will get lost in the world but all the colors gel so well together it’s like they were meant to be like true love, almost unexplainable art and detail. I loved every minute of the graphics.

Difficulty

I don’t consider myself a hardcore gamer, unless it comes to sports games, but I do enjoy hard games, I did buy Devil May Cry 3 and I won’t speak on how well that went. Vesperia, at first can be one of the hardest games you have played, well at least to me. The first few boss battles had me cussing at my screen and I HATED hearing the game over quote, “And they were never heard from again.” I won’t lie to you guys; I replayed one boss battle for over an hour because I couldn’t beat it. I was so pissed, I was on the brink of giving up but hey few level ups and an hour later I beat it. But, to the hardcore gamer he/she may just run through this like it was as easy as tying a shoe. To anyone else it will definitely be a challenge. At least early on, once you gain some skills, you run through enemies’ fairly easy to where it goes from hard to plain annoying. Learning curve is also 5-30 minutes depending on playing style.

To Conclude

The greatest 50 hours of rpg gaming I have ever had. Characters develop, well the main characters. You won’t feel like they are pointless or worthless or think why he/she even belongs on this game. The game is good I would advise any fan of this series or rpg gaming to check it out, though problem is that copies of this game are impossible to find. I’m no fan of giving scores I just tell people to go for it or stay away; you guys have to get this, if you can find it though.


Brief Game play


No comments: